Many women must have suffered from any kind of genital disease such as vaginal infection which may be due to any of the reason. One such disease is Swollen Labia which is basically swelling of the vaginal lips which cause pain, irritation and other symptoms. Let us try to know more about swollen labia, what are factors responsible for causing it, its symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and home remedies to cure. Let us now get into the article.
- 1 What is Swollen Labia?
- 2 Causes of Swollen Labia
- 3 Symptoms of Swollen Labia
- 4 Diagnosis of Swollen Labia
- 5 Treatment of Swollen Labia
- 6 Home remedies for Swollen Labia
- 7 Conclusion
What is Swollen Labia?
Labia is the lips of the vagina which are folded skin-like structure. The labia are of two types labia majora which is on the outer side of vagina and labia minora which is the inner lip of vagina. Vagina lips protect vagina and clitoris from any kind of infection. Swollen labia is basically the swelling of the labia which may be due to various conditions such as infection and many others.
Causes of Swollen Labia
Various factors are responsible for the swollen labia. Some of the causes of swollen labia are following:
The swollen vaginal area is one of the symptoms of the yeast infection. Vagina contains yeast and bacteria in balance but any change or disruption in them causes the vaginal yeast infection. This cause the itching, swelling and itchiness of the entire vaginal area.
Just like yeast infection can also occur due to a large number of bacteria as compared to yeast. This may be due to multiple sex partners or may be due to a low-level of bacteria in the vagina. Due to bacterial infection, a discharge is released which causes vaginal irritation.
Swollen labia may also be a result of allergic reaction. This allergic reaction may be caused due to clothing, food or any wanted particle that get in contact with the vagina. This did not cause any kind of discharge from the vagina but swelling and irritation are still present.
Many pregnant women during the second or third month of pregnancy notice swelling in the vagina lips. This may be due to more blood supply in the area or weaken muscles. Clear watery discharge is very common to occur at that time period.
Sometimes after sexual intercourse vaginal opening gets swollen and uncomfortable for the individual. This might be due to semen allergy. Also, sometimes friction can cause the swollen labia and irritation in that area.
Sexually transmitted diseases
Swollen labia is one of the symptoms of the sexually transmitted disease. In this situation, redness and swelling of the labia can be seen. This can lead to more complication if swollen labia is due to sexually transmitted disease.
Swollen labia can also be the result of cyst which is called Bartholin’s cyst. Bartholin’s glands are present on vaginal opening which secrete a fluid for the lubrication of the vagina. If the there is an obstruction in the passage of fluid than that will form a cyst in the gland and ultimately cause redness and swelling of the labia.
Symptoms of Swollen Labia
Swollen labia have some common and few symptoms which can be noticed easily. Let us have a look at those symptoms.
- Itching in the genital area
- Burning and redness of the vaginal lips
- Unusual discharge from the vagina
- Pain while walking and sitting
- Foul smell from the genital area
- The feeling of hotness in the genital area
- Bump on the vaginal lips
Diagnosis of Swollen Labia
A gynaecologist while diagnosing the swollen labia firstly ask about the medical and sexual history of the individual along with the symptoms. After this physical examination is done, a sample of tissue may be taken and tested to check any infection. If doctor requires doing the biopsy due to suspicion of vaginal cancer than that may also be done.
Treatment of Swollen Labia
Swollen labia treatment mainly depends on its cause. If it is due to yeast infection than doctor prescribes anti-fungal creams. In case of the bacterial infection, antibiotics may be prescribed. For swollen labia which cause due to allergies or sex, the doctor prescribes hydrocortisone or steroid cream to use and for Bartholin’s cyst, surgery is the method doctors prescribe if no treatment works.
Home remedies for Swollen Labia
Home remedies can easily cure swollen labia. These remedies are very effective for reducing the symptoms of swollen labia. Some of the home remedies are as follows:
- Applying cool compresses to the labia will help to reduce the burning and swelling of the region. Repeat it several times a day for the relief.
- Taking sitz bath which is sitting in the bathtub of warm water for some time help to reduce the cyst and swelling of the labia. Repeat this method for 4 to 5 days.
- Don’t wear tight clothing and not even tight underwear. As it will block the air passage which will generate heat in the area and allow bacteria to grow.
- Don’t use perfumed soap and any vaginal product if you think you are sensitive to them.
- Reduce sugar intake as high sugar is a way for the growth of more yeasts. So, avoid more sugar intake when you have the yeast infection.
- Drinking apple cider vinegar approx. 2 tablespoons in a full glass of water is the best solution for yeast infection.
- Always keep the vaginal area clean, wipe both from the front and the back
- Use more lubrication while having sex
- Use antibiotics only when prescribed by the doctor.
- Using vaginal cream made with garlic is the best herbal solution
Swollen labia may not be a serious condition if treated properly. Many medical treatments and home remedies are available for the complete treatment of swollen labia which are very helpful. Here in this article, we provided you complete information regarding swollen labia which will be very useful to you. If you suffer from any such problem do visit your doctor and use the preventive measure to cure and reduce this easily.