You must have seen people who have a strong sense of smell. They usually smell anything so strongly that even you are not able to smell it. This is nothing but the symptom of hyperosmia of which you might don’t have any idea. Let us try to know more about hyperosmia, why it is caused, its symptoms, diagnosis and treatment that can be taken. Let us now get into the article.
What is Hyperosmia?
Hyperosmia is a hypersensitive sense of smell which can be due to any of the medical conditions. Hyperosmia is an abnormal condition due to increase in acute olfactory that is known as the heightened sense of smell which is due to some specific factors. The disorder is very rare to present, but it is generally transferred from parents to children. Most of the people exactly don’t know what is hyperosmia and the major dangers of this critical condition. The lower threshold of smell always leads to hyperosmia.
Whenever the signals between olfactory nerve and receptors keep on increasing, then this disorder occurs in which a patient feels more odour than the natural capacity.
Causes of Hyperosmia
Hyperosmia may be caused due to multiple conditions with a variety of symptoms. Some medical conditions can cause the change in smell or increase in the smell of anything due to which it becomes difficult to determine whether hyperosmia is a symptom of a larger disorder or the cause of it. Now, let us have a look at some of the symptoms.
- Pregnancy: Pregnancy is the most common cause of this disease. The early symptom of pregnancy is a heightened sense of smell due to which nausea, vomiting, sickness during the first trimester of pregnancy. These symptoms often get fade away as the later stages of pregnancy occur.
- Genetic disorder: Genetic disorders which get transferred to the next generation are likely to cause the disease. Also, there is always a challenge to treat the disease completely if transferred through genes.
- A migraine: A Migraine headache can also cause hyperosmia. Odour sensitivity also triggers a migraine or make them susceptible to have hyperosmia.
- Lyme disease: Lyme disease is also a cause of hyperosmia. Almost 50% of the patients having Lyme disease suffer from hyperosmia.
- Autoimmune disease: Autoimmune disease such as Addison’s disease causes hyperosmia. Hyperosmia is a kind of symptom of adrenal deficiency which occurs due to Addison disease.
- Neurological conditions: Some neurological conditions such as multiple sclerosis, Parkinson, epilepsy causes loss of smell. Also, in some cases, polyps or a tumour can affect olfactory nerve.
- Other causes: Some other causes of the disease can be allergy, diabetes, B12 deficiency or nutrient deficiency. These problems can also affect olfactory nerve and can cause the disease.
Symptoms of Hyperosmia
There are not many symptoms of this disorder but the most basic symptom is to feel a higher sense of smell. People suffering from hyperosmia experience bit more increase in olfactory receptors which tend to smell more than normal people. The strong discomfort may be due to certain smells such as exposure to perfumes, and cleaning products and the scent of certain shampoos.
There are some severe cases of hyperosmia which can disrupt the life of the patient. They cause anxiety and depression, especially when the individual is unsure what smells might trigger the discomfort. This can be an isolating factor for the person because it becomes difficult to attend certain events. As there is always a fear that any kind of smell can cause discomfort.
How to Diagnose Hyperosmia
When individual suffering from hyperosmia goes to treatment doctor highly recommend Hyperosmia test. Also, tells some of the interesting things to the patient about it. Hyperosmia, when caused by environmental factors person, don’t prefer any treatment then he gets recovered with the passage of time, even without any treatment for this disorder.
Further, some ordinary and a few clinical tests are done which are very effective and reliable to declare whether a patient suffers from hyperosmia or not. In addition to this, the doctors always suggest patient stay a bit away from any kind of fragrance, odour and similar types of things that can boost hyperosmia due to the smell.
Treatment of Hyperosmia
Treatment of hyperosmia depends on the agent which cause the disease. Let us have a look at some of the treatment of hyperosmia.
- The basic treatment of the person having hyperosmia is chewing peppermint gum. As this can help you to avoid the triggered smell until you can move away from the triggering smell.
- If the triggered smell is due to perfume or chemical than avoid using those chemicals and perfume as much you can avoid.
- Sometimes the cause of hyperosmia may be a polyp or a tumour then surgical removal may reduce the symptoms. In this surgery is the best option.
- When a migraine is a cause than migraine medications can help treat hyperosmia. Medicines for a migraine can also prevent migraines from occurring as a result of hyperosmia.
Strong odorants during this disorder affect the suffering person a lot as compared to the normal situations. If the person has the problem due to environmental factors then it is easy to treat the cause else proper treatment is necessary for other causes.
Here in this article, we provided you complete information regarding hyperosmia which will help you to know about the disease completely. But visiting doctor is highly recommended in any of the conditions.