Are you unable to eat your favorite spicy food? If the answer is yes, then you have a fissured tongue. Fissured tongue is not a serious condition but a cut on a tongue can still become painful. Although the cut on a tongue can get healed on its own after few days it takes you to the stifling pain to battle. One can identify fissured tongue by just looking at it. There is a crack at the center of the tongue along with other small cracks at the edges. The tongue is very sensitive organ to touch and pain. It is the organ that helps in chewing food and in speech as well. Therefore to keep the tongue pain under control it is important to get rid of fissured tongue in a painless manner.
And to do that here is the complete guide on how to get rid of the fissured tongue easily in a natural manner.
- 1 What Does Fissured Tongue Reveal about your Health?
- 2 Causes of Fissured Tongue
- 3 Symptoms of Fissured Tongue
- 4 How to Get Rid of Fissured Tongue
- 4.1 Ice Cubes
- 4.2 Toothpaste for Fissured Tongue
- 4.3 Neem or Margosa Leaves
- 4.4 Honey
- 4.5 Gargle with Garlic and Ginger
- 4.6 Lavender Oil
- 4.7 Hydrogen Peroxide
- 4.8 Mint Leaves
- 4.9 Aloe Vera
- 4.10 Listerine Mouthwash for Cut-Tongue
- 4.11 Like this:
What Does Fissured Tongue Reveal about your Health?
It is not right to neglect the cracked tongue for its diagnosis reveals the health condition of the individual. So if you have fissured tongue, there are two conditions that need to be assessed-
Our tongue is covered with a series of small, pinkish-white bumps known as papillae. In the condition of fissured tongue, the papillae are missing from some part of the tongue hence making tongue looks like a smooth island. The papillae first recover in one spot and then disappear from another. This makes the tongue’s natural grooves more pronounced that hurts on eating salty, spicy and acidic food.
The fissured tongue also reveals about the deficiency of vitamins in one’s body like Iron or Biotin deficiency. Both the vitamins mature the papillae and their deficiency leads to the development of large and smooth patches on the tongue.
Causes of Fissured Tongue
Now you may wonder what actually leads to the cracking of tongue or tongue fissure. So here are the main causes involved-
- Accidentally biting the tongue while eating or sleeping
- Some allergic reactions, medications, and stress
- Eating sharp point foods like fish or chips
- Deficiency of Vitamin B i.e. Biotin and Vitamin C
- Genetic problems or some systemic yeast infection
- Acid reflux, or eating of hot and spicy food.
- A face injury that may have affected tongue as well.
- Ulcers on the tongue causing abrasions leading to cuts.
- Low immunity leads to delay in healing tongue fissures caused by conditions like asthma, or eczema
- Hormonal surges experienced by women during menstruation, pregnancy and menopause, etc.
Symptoms of Fissured Tongue
If you are suffering from cracked tongue, you will know it clearly. It is not something that might go unnoticed for it can be easily distinguished from other physiological tongue issues. So here are the few signs that will help you analyze-
- You can see a visual sign of a fissure, wound or cut on the tongue
- There may be inflammation at the injured site
- Redness can be seen at the injured site
- Moderate to immense pain along with discomfort in the injured site
- A burning sensation at the site of the cut
- You will feel increased sensitivity to hot and spicy foods
How to Get Rid of Fissured Tongue
To get rid of fissured tongue is not that difficult for there are many home remedies and other artificial ways. Only you need to have is the right ingredients and correct remedy to treat the cut tongue or fissured tongue. So let us begin with treatments-
The first remedy to get rid of fissured tongue that one could try is using ice cubes. Ice lessens the irritation hence giving a cooling effect to the tongue. The chillness of the ice cube will numb all the sensations of the cracked tongue so that you feel less pain.
How to Use it?
- You can apply ice cubes 2-3 directly to the tongue by sucking to them. Position the ice cubes on cracks as long as possible.
- Rinse your mouth with ice cold water.
- Repeat this regularly to get quick relief.
Toothpaste for Fissured Tongue
There are chemicals used in the toothpaste especially a little amount of alcohol. Hence applying the toothpaste will scrape the tongue and kill the yeast, fungus and bacterial infection present on the tongue. That might be one of the reasons of cracking of the tongue. Using toothpaste will supply an oxygenated environment for the growth of anaerobic bacteria.
How to Use it?
Directly apply toothpaste on the tongue twice a day to get rid of the cracked tongue.
Neem or Margosa Leaves
Margosa leaves are very useful and important herbal medicinal plant. Every single part of the tree like stem, bark, flower and even roots act as useful medication. The leaves of neem are also healthy for our strong immune system.
How to use it?
Take some 15-20 leaves of Margosa and wash them properly. Crush the leaves to make a paste of it. Use that paste to brush it twice a day for its anti-bacterial property heals the cracked tongue. It also prevents bad breath and other dental related problems.
The next ingredient that you can sort to get rid of fissured tongue is using Honey. It keeps the injured tongue free of infections and in addition, also creates a protective barrier around the cut. This helps in faster healing of cut tongue in a less painful manner.
What do you need to do?
- Take 1 tablespoon of honey. Put some honey on the cut tongue. Wait for an hour or so and then wash it away.
- Alternatively, you can also choose to swallow the honey directly after meals to quicken the healing process.
Gargle with Garlic and Ginger
Gargling with garlic and ginger is another way in which you can get rid of the cracked tongue. Both garlic and ginger help in building the healthy immune system with its anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties. It kills all the bacteria on the tongue and reduces the pain and burning sensation of the cut tongue.
How to use it for treatment?
Take an onion and some 5-6 cloves of garlic. Crush them and make a paste of it. Mix this paste in a glass of water. Use it for gargling it twice a day. You can now begin to eat your spicy food with healed tongue.
Lavender oil is a mixture of naturally occurring phytochemicals that includes Linalool and linalyl acetate like chemicals. Apply the lavender oil directly to the tongue for it gives you relief from the burning sensation and the pain. It is very beneficial to the lesions and other dental problems.
Hydrogen peroxide is yet another effervescent cleaning agent that helps in removing dead tissues from in and around the cut up the tongue. It has antiseptic properties that help the wound to heal faster.
How to Use it?
- Rinsing your mouth with diluted hydrogen peroxide solution to treat cuts on the tongue. Make sure you don’t swallow the solution.
- Or else you can mix the water and hydrogen peroxide. Then pour the mixture into your mouth and swish it around nicely for about 30 seconds. Spit out the solution later. You can use it thrice a day to heal the fissured tongue.
Mint leaves are known for giving a cooling effect to the mouth. They also help to create a healthy immune system. When used to treat the cut on the tongue, they help in reducing the burning sensation and the lesions. It is also useful for other dental infections.
How to Use it?
Take few washed mint leaves. Add these leaves to a glass full of water and allow it to boil. Allow it to cool down and then drain the water out. Refrigerate it and drink twice a day to reduce the pain and burning sensation.
One of the best herbal medicines for the cracked tongue is Aloe Vera. This protects the sensitive tissues of the mouth and increases the taste buds. You can drink ¼ cup Aloe Vera juice daily or can rinse your mouth with it.
You can also use a cotton to apply pure aloe vera gel around your mouth. Leave it for some time and then rinse the mouth with cold water. Repeat this twice a day.
Listerine Mouthwash for Cut-Tongue
The last remedy that you can use to get rid of fissured tongue is by rinsing your mouth with Listerine Mouthwash. It is not only used for fresher breath but has antiseptic and antibacterial properties as well that helps in tongue heal faster. It also prevents infections and worsening the wound.
How to Use it?
- Take 1 cup of Listerine Mouthwash. Gargle your mouth with it by concentrating more on the site of the wound. Swish the mouthwash for about 30 seconds and then spit it out.
- Do this twice a day after meals.
Although you need not worry much about the fissured tongue proper medication is still must. Fissured tongue is definitely a hurdle in eating your favorite spicy and chilled items hence it needs to be treated as soon as possible to avoid infections. So this is the proper guide to appropriate home remedies that will help you get rid of fissured tongue in a painless manner.