In this article, I am going to discuss Endophthalmitis: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention.
After going through this article, you will have a clear idea about all the facts related to it.
What is Endophthalmitis?
Endophthalmitis is a severe condition that causes inflammation on the inside of the eye and can even extend to the neighboring tissues. It occurs due to bacteria, fungus, viruses, and parasites entering the eye. It is seen rarely but should be treated with proper care because it can lead to blindness and loss of vision completely.
Symptoms of Endophthalmitis
Endophthalmitis can lead to vision loss and pain in the eye. Depending on the causes, the endophthalmitis symptoms vary as given below.
- Postoperative endophthalmitis: It is caused due to bacterial infection which is severe as it might lead to loss of vision permanently.
Early symptoms can include eye pain, red eyes, diminishing the vision in the affected eye and swollen eyelids.
Late symptoms include slight eye pain, blurred vision, and sensitiveness to bright light which is milder than early symptoms.
- Posttraumatic endophthalmitis: It is caused due to the pervasive injury of the eye and its symptoms include worse eye pain and red eyes, thereby decreases vision.
- Hematogenous endophthalmitis. It occurs due to an infection that spreads through the bloodstream and gets settled in the eye. Symptoms include a slight decrease in vision which lasts for few weeks and also floaters starts to appear in the field of vision.
Diagnosis of Endophthalmitis
The proper endophthalmitis diagnosis has to be done as it leads to severe problems of vision. Consult an ophthalmologist whenever any of the symptoms especially like eye surgery or eye trauma has occurred and treat it promptly. While consulting a doctor, he/ she will diagnose the symptoms and asks your medical history.
Ophthalmoscope will be used by the doctor to look inside of the eye. Taking an ultrasound will help to detect if any problem exists at the center of the eye. If the symptoms are crucial, then the doctor might use a procedure termed as vitreous tap, by which they use a needle to withdraw the internal fluid from the eye after anesthetizing the eye.
The fluid is then tested to check whether any bacteria, fungal or other infections persist in the eye.
After proper diagnosis from the doctor, start the treatment with proper care. Your eyes might feel better within a day or two once the treatment begins.
Treatment of Endophthalmitis
Endophthalmitis treatment relies on certain conditions that caused it and also on the state of vision of the affected eye. As mentioned, it is caused due to bacteria, fungus or other microorganisms that enter the eye.
If the condition occurs due to bacteria, the following treatments are done.
- Intravitreal antibiotics are injected into the affected eye, and in order to do this, some vitreous is removed first for the antibiotic to get settled in the eye.
- Corticosteroids are also injected into the eyes so as to decrease the infection and for healing it quickly.
- Intravenous antibiotics are injected into the vein for patients with severe infection.
- Topical antibiotics are used if there is a wound infection in the eye other than endophthalmitis.
- Vitrectomy. In this process, the vitreous fluid is removed from the infected eye and is replaced with sterile saline liquid. It is done on people with severe vision loss.
If the infection is due to fungus, doctors inject anti-fungal medications into the affected eye. In addition to this, the person might also be advised to use oral anti-fungal drugs.
Prevention of Endophthalmitis
In order to prevent its occurrence, try to use a protective eyewear such as goggles, eye shields, and helmets. This will always protect our eyes. If you have done eye surgery, consult your doctor regularly. Also, follow their instructions so as to reduce the risk for infection.
So this was all about Endophthalmitis: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention. As it is said prevention is better than cure. So I hope this article will let you prevent the disease at a correct time.